For the past couple of days I’ve been feeling a little like I have fallen head first into some sort of awful parallel universe, where up is down, left is right, and not a whole lot makes sense. As a Buffy fan I suppose I should make some comment about a hell dimension, but wasn’t Joss fairly pointed in his ideas on Hell on Earth? I digress. But then I do that a lot.
So Boris Johnson is the new Mayor of London. I am hoping once again that my initial views on this will be squashed, that I will eat my words, that he will not make nearly as big a mess of things as I am anticipating. But really I want to scream ‘London, what were you thinking!?’ Yes he’s amusing, yes I can understand why people have little faith in Ken, but come on, have we not seen first hand that giving a buffoon some power leads to no good? So yes, attempting to remain open minded, not really succeeding.
As for other things, well, in the past two days certain ideas have been reinforced. Bad things happen to good people. This we know. But bad things usually happen to good people you don’t know, and have never met. If we felt for every stranger we saw on the news we’d all go insane. It’s a selfish act of self preservation, but it’s there nonetheless. Seeing people’s names on the news that you know? Well, that does hurt. And hit home. And it will never make sense to me.
Perhaps rewatching season 6 of Buffy was just not the best idea. However, there are things that make other things seem a little better:
* It’s a bank holiday. No work today. Sunday was actually less of a downer than usual, as I loved knowing I had another day of sloth ahead of me.
* Pepperidge Farm cookies. My friend knows me well. They have come far, but soon they will be in my tummy. Best place for them, oh yes.
* Films. Gone Baby Gone was excellent but I really should be a detective because I am still figuring things out way before these so called experts in the movies.
* Potential new TV show in the form of Gossip Girl. ITV2 is having a marathon today to catch up so I think I will give it a go.
* My birthday is looming. I will be going home that weekend and I’m looking forward to it.
* It’s only a four day week, which I can surely get through, yes?